Saturday, October 29, 2005

Backpack Adventure: Budapest Gorgeous!

Before I forget all the name of the places, I better document all my backpack adventures in this blog. Gosh... I think I may have forgotten most names to the places I've visited... :(

Budapest, Hungary is the first city I visited after my traineeship in Poland in April 2003. I remembered how I had to leave Warszawa early in the morning at about 6am to catch the train. Just imagine carrying a 30kg backpack with a notebook PC on one shoulder and a few other plastic bags on the other.

The challenge was understanding the train ticket. I didn't know where to sit. I asked for directions but the train personnels couldn't speak much english. So, I decided to dump myself in the best cabin I see. Little did I realize that I was sitting in the 1st class cabin. The seats are much bigger and they have this small little table by the window. Upon reaching Bratislava's train station, I was asked for the ticket by the train personnel. He was telling me so many things... and pointing my finger to another direction. I guess he was trying to tell me that I was in the wrong cabin and asked me to go to the Economy class cabin. I acted like I couldn't understand him at all (I just didn't want to move my luggage down the small cabin lane). Furthermore, my cabin is closest to the train door. Frustrated explaining to me after a few minutes... he just left! =D Woohoo! Luckily I wasn't fine for sitting in the 1st class cabin.

I was supposed to meet with Eszther, a Hungarian which I met during the PEACE project traineeship in Poland. She was nowhere to be found... I kept searching for her for almost 1/2 an hour. I was supposed to stay in a student dormitory. I finally gave up and decided to change my currency so that I can look for my own accomodation. I don't know if you call this a miracle but as soon as I changed the currency, I turned around and I saw Eszther looking around... for ME! I called out for her and she was so happy to see me. I was so glad... at least I just needed to pay RM9 per night to stay at her student dormitory. If I stayed on my own, I would have to pay 10x more! =D

Budapest, I would say is the most beautiful city I've ever stepped my foot on in Europe. The night scenery is just exhilirating and mind blowing. I didn't have a good camera to do justice to the night scene but it's really that good. This is not a place to go if you are backpacking alone. I had no choice. I was alone there. I couldn't express my feelings... All I can do is to witness the beauty and keep it to myself.


On the way to Budapest from Warszawa. The train stopped at Bratislava to pick up new passengers. Posted by Picasa


The Famous Gellert. This is the first night where I walked around the city to get a feel of it. I had a Turkish bath in this historical hotel. Posted by Picasa


I didn't know that Hungary was once under the Romans... =D Okay, I admit. I was never an avid fan of history but hey, I learn from travellling ;D Anyway, this is Aquincum - one of the preserved Roman ruins. I went there with Vivien and Yong Han (both Malaysians who are also in Budapest that time) We were brought to this place by Inez Nemes who is studying in a University in Budapest. Posted by Picasa


This is Centrum! We got here by taking a train and it's nice to see the less urbanised part of Budapest. Posted by Picasa


I love small streets like this. It's unique and functional! This small street leads you up to a place where you can taste freshly baked pancakes! See picture below! Posted by Picasa


You must try these pancakes. They have all sorts of fillings to go with it. I couldn't remember what I had... but it sure tastes GOOD!! Posted by Picasa


Look at THAT! The scenery from here is just amazing. There's a feel to ancient Europe... Posted by Picasa


I don't even know how to describe this picture. This is a castle... it's very close to the monument for the fallen soldiers of Hungary. See? I told ya I couldn't remember the names already... :( Posted by Picasa


My pictures doesn't do justice. The amount of detail on this building is just incredible. This building is now used to house a medicinal bath center. They have all kinds of healing services to offer. Posted by Picasa


This is the famous Golden Bridge... I wished I had a better camera that time to capture the grandness of it. It's just amazing. There are lanes for cars, trams and pedestrians too on both sides. Posted by Picasa


Budapest is most beautiful by night when the city is all lit up. It is no less beautiful in the morning... Posted by Picasa


This is the student dormitory I stayed in. For RM9 per night, I'm not complaining. Besides, it's just beside the Danube river... =D Posted by Picasa

During the entire trip, I relied on the "Rough Guides to Europe". A lot of people have recommended me Lonely Planet and I did try but I find that it is not as informative as the Rough Guides. The Rough Guides is more suited for the budget traveller while Lonely Planet is overly commercialized. I had a great time in Budapest and I seriously recommend it to the season travellers and to those who would like to go on a similar backpack adventure. Due to the beauty of the place, you might want to just spend several hours at one location - doing NOTHING! Just relax and enjoy the scenery.

It's farely easy to travel around especially if you're staying near to the Danube river. You can take the subway to distant tourist spots or even the tram. Other nearby attractions are easily accessible by foot. Again, language might be a barrier but you can easily drop by the nearby University where students there can understand English.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there =)
You're evoking envy in each reader.
Nice pics!

Dzeisen said...

Hey Whimsical! Thanks for the kind words... I'm sure there are many out there who had similar adventures. I'm just blogging it down so I don't forget the names! =D haha...

Thanks for dropping by...

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos. Must have really enjoyed yourself there.

christopherastbury said...

You have some fantastic pictures my friend`! Keep posting

Dzeisen said...

Thank you Jacky and Christopher. I hope to document all my backpack adventures in this blog. Do check back when you have the time...

Thank you once again for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

Damn...nice piece. Love that shot of the Gellert.

Dzeisen said...

Thanks for your comments Wil! =D I touched up the photo of Gellert quite a bit coz it was too dark. I was quite lucky that the result turned out pretty okay..! =D