Thursday, June 16, 2005

The camera is just a tool...


The eye that helps me capture the moments... Posted by Hello

I have came across forums and I see people often debate about who makes better cameras, better lenses and offers better support. Well, to be fair, this often centers around Nikon and Canon (typically). In fact, people also tend to compare dSLRs and Point and Shoot (P&S) cameras. You know, I have seen people with big 'O' lenses with high end digital SLRs taking crappy photos.

My point is really simple. The camera is merely a tool. More often than not, it's the person who is holding it that counts. Different cameras caters for different needs. Some people prefer the Canon to a Nikon (and vice versa), for the button layout or the image resolution or even the brand name. Some people prefer a P&S Camera because it records video and it takes pretty decent pictures as well.

It doesn't matter what camera you use, as long as the end result is exactly what you are looking for. Being a better photographer is more important than having a tool that will supposedly make you one. Good photographers do not depend solely on their tools. They will climb mountains, swim across oceans, hang upside down, sky dive and everything you can imagine just to get that shot. The camera captures exactly how a photographer sees it - nothing more, nothing less. Give a pro photographer any camera and he or she will still produce excellent results. So, you don't have to feel small if you carry a P&S or a SLR with kit lenses or even a film camera. As long as you are happy with the results, you are doing fine!

Lugging around a SLR is no easy task. People tend to give you the "oooo... photographer" stare and pointing a big gun around can be quite intimidating to some people. That's why I want to get a P&S myself for events where a SLR would be too ackward to be carried around.

If you see me around carrying this "gun", rest assured, just like everyone else, I'm still learning to get better shots. If you are carrying a Canon or a Sony or a Minolta or just about any other brand, I'd like to see the pictures that you shoot. Perhaps I can learn a trick or 2 from you. Let's not even get into the talk of "My camera's brand can do this and I'm sure yours can't!" Are we cool? =D

5 comments:

5xmom.com said...

Hi!
Agree with you. It takes the heart and soul of the person to bring out great shots. *sigh* Something that I haven't discover within me yet. I actually blog about something along this line few days ago. Comparing the 3 dSLRs (not that I can afford them). Your shots are great btw!

Dzeisen said...

Hi Lilian! Thank you for your comments. I have just read that post of yours (the dSLRs comparison). I totally agree with your ending statement. You do not need pricey lenses and camera bodies just to take good pictures.

A camera is not something for you to brag about. It's a device you feel comfortable enough to use, to assist you in capturing the moments and memories you want to preserve in the coming years.

Anonymous said...

hey there

I agree with what you've written. Many times, I've been asked: what camera is good; and my advise is, go and hold the camera, try it out and see if you like the result. I was shown specs and no doubt reviews are good to read, it is ultimately up to the user how to operate...

I remember when I first bought my Nikon N60, some were asking me why. And when new models with better specs came around, I was asked if I had plans to change. Basically, my answer was I've tried N60 and I like it alot, and no, I've no plan to change camera as I've grown to love it more and learn how to make it work for me.

And now that we are in the digital age, I've had plans to get myself a digital camera. I was planning to test out Canon S2 IS when it comes out, to see if I'll like it, whether I have the 'feel' for it. However, I also come to know of a similar spec- Panasonic FZ5. I hope to try out these two cameras and see which fits me and what I want to do. A few people were telling me that, S2 IS is big and bulky and doesn't look sleek. If they would have told me that the bulkiness result in cunbersome to carry around, I still can accept that, but to say bulky=sleek? I don't need a sleak camera, I want one that's functional to me...A few asked me too, why FZ5 and why not FZ20? I told them, do you know, there's a sport illustrator photographer who uses a box camera to shoot his models instead of a super sophisticated SLR?

So, I'm hoping to have the opportunity to try out S2 IS and Panasonic FZ5. Anyone? Heheheh...

And btw, I would certainly wish I can get the D70 to replace my film SLR...;)

Dzeisen said...

Hi APCC! Thank you for leaving your comments.

Yeah, I agree... hold the camera, feel it and test it out. However, it's also quite tough nowadays to really test a camera properly especially a dSLR. No shop would be kind enough to loan you a SLR just to try out unless there's a roadshow with cameras on display.

That's why online reviews can come in handy and I recommend dpreview.com. Remember to take it merely as a guide, and not a final verdict. Read through the reviews so that it can give you a general idea on the range cameras you have in mind. Compare the features, usability / functionality and then narrow down the list. Finally, go out to the shop and test it out. It's not an easy decision - I know. Been there, done that! =D

elb said...

Agreed, a newbie with best equipment would be beaten hands down by a professional with a disposable.